Saturday, July 29, 2023

My service sites - Dylan Brown

 Today we had arguably the worst service site.

We painted a house in the hot sun for three and a half hours, with little shade and the humidity higher than your everyday sauna. Our service sites before were amazing though. We worked at a thrift store and a food bank. The thrift store was my over all favorite, we sorted clothes and bagged them. At the same time the group was trying on strange outfits and having an over all great time. At the food bank we washed trays, I liked this one too. I’m not sure why though because usually I dislike washing dishes. But back to the house, the house was being painted yellow and white, really going for that egg look. The house was in horrible condition, rotting wood and paint peeling to the extreme. There were wasp and hornet infestations and tiny bugs that bit but no one knew what they were.  Our first hour or so was ok; we were determined and ready to go. But as soon as we took our first break everything went down from there. We were tired and not because of heat exhaustion or from the work but it seemed like several different factors combined. It was our second to last day, we had easier sites beforehand. Just all of these things together made for a slump in wanting to work or have motivation. But in the end we pushed through and got a large portion of the house done. Now that the house was finished I felt closer and more open with my service group. With this day done we were more excited than ever to be almost finished. With that we headed off to the beach, we arrived at the beach on Tybee Island (thirty minutes from the church) and parked. And let me tell you, this was the hottest, most humid beach I’ve ever stepped foot on. Usually at a beach it’s a lot cooler and has a breeze or such but no, this beach was HOTTER. But over all It was a lot of fun and I and the group had a great time. At the end of the day I realized that I had thought that this trip would be easier being my second. But it had actually been harder, and think it  was this way because God was trying to teach me something. Humility, it’s a problem that I’ve had for quite a while, and I think God was trying to teach me it through this trip.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks to you and the entire team for all of the help you're providing to others! You'll appreciate the days at home when the weather cools and the rain returns for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home to the PNW ! Glad you are looking at the things God is putting on your heart to work on at such a young age ! How fortunate you are to have the opportunity to go on these trips . How blessed you are to have the leaders you have to walk along side of you as you grow and change !

    ReplyDelete