Monday, July 31, 2023

My first trip - Thomas Kenemer

 This mission trip was special for me because it was my first. I thought the message we were being taught during worship every evening was very interesting. The message was “YOU ARE HERE”.  It spoke a lot about we are here in the present and we should not get caught up on things that happened in the past and worry about things that will happen in the future.  We need to be focused on things we need to do right now. 

The city of Savannah had so much history.  We learned a lot about it when we went to the First African Baptist Church.  Over 200 years of history in those walls!  We all learned new things from a pastor at the church.  Even though it was very hot and very humid, Savannah grew on me.  Part of the reason was the people.  They were so nice, so grateful and so respectful.  It felt good to help people and work for the community.

The people who work at the thrift store were very thankful and shared personal stories with us.  We loved helping at the thrift store so much, we actually went back and spent one more hour sorting clothes the next day after we were done at our 2nd service sight.  

Something else I thought was very interesting were the self-devotions.  They handed us these little books at the beginning of the week and every day after breakfast, our group would go upstairs and work on these devotions.  I liked them because they were meant to help make the message of the week more relatable to you.  And I think this was a large part of what made the worship feel so special.

No comments:

Post a Comment