Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Our Gifts - June Berfanger

Roaches. Big roaches. Baby roaches. 84 bug bites. Benadryl. Itch cream. Countless icebags. Six bottles of sunscreen. Near miss car accident. A life altering event. And God shows up and continues to work and guide us in miraculous ways.

 

This is my third mission trip with the youth. At 53 years of age, I sometimes wonder if my time with the youth is nearing theend. Afterall, what youth wants to hang out with a 53-year-oldwoman? Perhaps, I am not needed anymore I thought to myself. Sara and Tim are so very capable so they do not need me to go as well. During youth group, I tend to go on about stories or thoughts on a certain topic or scripture during bible study time. I sometimes see their eyes glaze over and I think that I am getting too old to connect with themI am sure the youth sometimes think, “Here comes another June story.” However, when I feel the Spirit call, I speak up and share a story or say something that has touched my heart. Sometimes, when I sense a child may be hurting or sad, I reach out to them. That has been my unofficial roll in youth group. 

 

I believe God gave me the gift of encouragement. God gives us all gifts to use for His kingdom. I am not talking abut your occupation and job or talent. I am talking about the spiritual gift God gave all His children. I came into this trip questioning if I was still needed. I would soon learn it was wrong of me to question that I should stop using my spiritual gift with the youth. Silly me.

 

On this trip, continued to share stories and comments when I felt led. Little did I know that a few words I said on this tripwould have a huge impact on a youth. My sharing created a turning point and a safe place for them. All because I did what God always wants. I shared my gift. Your spiritual gift should never quit, get tired or think it is not important. You should use and shout your gift from the rooftops. The gift that comes from God, when shared, multiplies, and furthers His kingdom. It also fills you up with joy when you use it. And then you spread the joy of the Lord. I was literally shouting, “I love Jesus” while painting with the youth, dripping sweat. It was wonderful. My heart was bursting with joy. God never ceases to show up when you lean into Him. Go God!

 

Continue to pray for our mission trip. Those prayers sustain us. And pray that the youth and everyone searching find their own spiritual gifts. We are all here to share. 

 

Blessings!

June Berfanger

2 comments:

  1. Thank you June for being the encouragement and security blanket for these youth!! Okay, for their parents too!! I know we are thrilled and comforted knowing they have such amazing leaders with them!! You will never be too old to leave positive life long impacts on these kids. They love you!! They love you too, Sara and Tim!!🙂
    Keeping you all in our prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pffft, 53...you're still a young chick 😉. I say that because I'm only 1 year behind you, lady, LOL! We often don't know the positive impact on others or for that matter, perhaps it's the positive impact on you. The need goes both ways and I'm sure the group would agree the trips wouldn't be the same without a few June moments! You are blessed beyond measure!

    ReplyDelete